Saturday, August 27, 2016

Day 232 - Columbus Museum of Art

Today I took a trip to the Columbus Museum of Art to see the Picasso exhibit, and the new wing of the museum that opened last year that I had not yet seen. The new wing is beautiful. CMA is a smallish museum but it's a really nice one and it's right across the street from CCAD (Columbus College of Art and Design) my alma mater, which also has some nice galleries. Anyway, Picasso......his work is really not my thing. I can respect the style and see the uniqueness in it, but cubism and modern art is just not my thing. There was one painting that I was actually very much drawn to called Woman with mantilla (Fatma). It had a very impressionistic/pointillist feel to it and I loved the colors. I even liked the fact it was left unfinished. Impressionism is my favorite style of painting so it was fitting that I was drawn to it. That and the fact I could make out the subject matter (unlike the cubist style Picasso is known for). Unfortunately I could not take a picture of it directly so the pic below is off my computer.

My favorite painting of the trip was this monochrome teal green one below, found in another gallery. Teal is my color so once again, only natural that I would be drawn to it. Even more so since it has to do with Monet, my favorite artist, and his gardens at Giverney. You can read the story in the picture below. I'm in love with the way the water is painted showing ice and reflections so amazingly. I was totally mesmerized by it. Makes me want to attempt a similar painting of my own. Hmm.... I'll have to add that to my to do list. ;-)

I told myself I was going to make more Museum and gallery visits this year. So far I'm not doing so great on that. Need to pick up the pace. I did visit the Biltmore Estate, the largest house in the US, owned by the Vanderbilt family,  earlier this week on my way home from camp. There is quite the collection of art there, including a giant mural from Italy on the ceiling of the library, as well as amazing pieces of furniture. The architecture of the house itself is stunning. Even the property, the gardens, the fountains, the landscaping along the roads....all deserve a thorough going thru and appreciation. I was short on time but it's easily an all day visit kind of experience. Someday I hope to go back to spend more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Believe in Magic

  Goodness its been a long time since I’ve written here in this blog. A lot of changes have happened in the last year or so – unexpectedly h...