Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Art Every Day -Day 4 - mural

For Day 4 of my month of art - I worked all day today. And since my job is painting murals - that is going to be my creativity for today. I feel like I've had a long week already (and its only Wednesday sheesh!) and I'm just not feeling the creative urge to go in the studio tonight and paint something else.

So the mural I worked on today is my art for the day.

















The client I am currently working for loves quotes and asked me to put these two in their craft room.
The first is a 36" circle with soft teal, blue and white tones to sorta represent an earth. I loved painting the earth part, blending the colors together. It is much prettier in person than it looks in this picture. For murals I mostly use regular satin latex wall paint, Sherwin Williams being my preferred brand. I am painting on walls after all!

 The quote (by Kurt Vonnegut) was added on top using a navy blue Liquitex acrylic paint marker. I am not a big fan of writing for murals, especially using paint and a small brush. It takes forever and sometimes requires 3 or 4 coats of paint, which is a pain in the butt, especially if the lettering is small. These markers though have been a godsend. They still have their issues - the tips tend to fray and can leave rough edges, and it sometimes still requires 2 or 3 coats, depending on colors and the background, but it is FAR easier and quicker using a marker than a brush. And its actual paint in a marker form, which is awesome!




I did this quote also with the paint markers. I used a navy blue and teal green for a two toned look.


















And this is the view of both of them in the room. The walls are a soft minty green and the trim is white. (looks kinda peachy here but it is white)

So a full day of creative painting and lettering for me today. I think I needed the break from the small solid color paintings after yellow yesterday anyway.  I know - I've only done 3 - how can I need a break already?!! I'm tellin ya man - its the yellow! Yellow is not my thing. It totally drained me! Haha.

Tomorrow is more quotes on the job, but I plan on getting back to the next color on my color exploration list when I get home. I probably need to do gold  tomorrow so I can get the yellow tones done and over with!! That's probably why I didn't have it in me to do tonight. Have I mentioned I don't like yellow? ;-)

Stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I Believe in Magic

  Goodness its been a long time since I’ve written here in this blog. A lot of changes have happened in the last year or so – unexpectedly h...